All Info About Auto Repairs
Your One Stop Source For All The Information You Need For Your Vehicles.

Securing Newspaper Photos And/Or Police Reports

Securing Newspaper Photos And/Or Police Reports

  By Dan Baldyga
About Dan Baldyga
  Dan Baldyga has a lifetime of experience in the field of motor vehicle accidents, personal injury and compensation.
More about Dan  

As the accident victim you should check to see if there were newspaper accounts reporting the accident. If there were clip out the relevant articles or simply the headline or even the mere mention of the accident, and save it. The area's local newspapers should also be checked for the possibility that they may have published a synopsis of the weather on the day of the accident. Upon clipping out such an item a notation should be made indicating the name of the newspaper, plus the date and page, etc.

Review these article's closely because a photograph may be available via those newspaper articles. If that's so, go to the newspaper office (or make a telephone call to it) and order an 8x10 glossy print of the photo from the article's reporter or photographer. It's even possible you may discover that a newspaper or television photographer has a photograph that had been taken but wasn't used in the article - - one which is available for a nominal charge.

There are two other "by-products" for which photographs can additionally be useful to you in your claims settlement undertaking. One by-product is the possibility that, upon closely studying the photo, you may discover a witness. Or, as another by-product, you might be able to pick out from the photos the registration numbers of other vehicles in the impact area but weren't involved in the accident. From such a piece of information you can get the police or the motor vehicle department to provide you with the names and addresses of the parties to whom the registration number belongs and that could present you with the possibility of locating a critical witness to your case.

OBTAINING THE POLICE REPORT - IF ANY: It's always a good idea to call the police when there's an accident. It's to your advantage to do so and to have a police report on file. In most states the police are required, by law, to be promptly notified whenever an accident occurs, especially when there's an injury or the damages to one of the vehicles exceeds some fixed amount, say $250.00 or $300.00.

About a week or so after the police execute the report it will usually be available to the public at the police department. You should secure a copy of the report by requesting one for a nominal charge. If the accident occurs on a state highway, you apply for the report from the state Highway Patrol's office. If the accident occurred anywhere else, you should apply for the report from the city, county, or sheriffs police department that investigated the accident.

Upon obtaining a copy of the report scan it for a witness the police may have included. It's possible you could discover from the report that the police have taken some useful photographs. They'll usually be more than willing to sell you reprints.

You may discover - - especially in severe accidents involving, say for example, drunkenness - - that there's in existence some special reports and/or highly detailed diagrams on the accident. You can inquire with the investigating officers who prepared the report (their names are listed on the bottom of the reports) as to whether there was any professional photographers they may have seen or observed at the scene, thereby providing you with yet another source for potentially helpful photographs or witnesses.


DISCLAIMER: The only purpose of this claim tip is to help people understand the motor vehicle accident claim process. Neither Dan Baldyga or Vince Ciulla make any guarantee of any kind whatsoever; NOR do they purport to engage in rendering any professional or legal service; NOR to substitute for a lawyer, an insurance adjuster, or claims consultant, or the like. Where such professional help is desired it is the INDIVIDUAL'S RESPONSIBILITY to obtain said services.

Copyright (c) 2005 by Daniel G. Baldyga All Rights Reserved

Dan Baldyga's fourth and latest book Auto Accident Personal Injury Insuraece Claim: (How To Evaluate And Settle Your Loss) can be found on the Internet at This book reveals "How To" successfully handle your motor vehicle accident claim, so you won't be taken advantage of. It also goes into detail regarding the revolutionary BASE (The Baldyga Auto Accident Settlement Evaluation Formula). BASE explains how to determine the value of the "Pain and Suffering" you endured because of your personal injury.

Additional Information provided courtesy of and Warranty Direct
© 2000-2007 Vincent T. Ciulla

FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!

Help keep this site free.

Copyright (c)2006

Search All Info About

Related Articles